I've been using my new smartphone, the HTC Touch Pro 2, for a week now and I'd like to present some thoughts and obervations about it. This post is not intended to be a full-blown review and therefore some knowledge on the Windows Mobile 6 platform is assumed from the readers. It also helps if you are familiar with the latest TouchFLO™ 3D interface. If you haven't actually used the Touch Pro 2 yourself, I suggest watching some video reviews from Youtube before reading this post.
I'm currently working as a network engineer for a medium-sized Internet service provider Nebula in Finland. The interesting 24 hours I'm referring to, started yesterday at 16:10 Finnish time when one of the core routers on our network started acting up. Due to confidentiality issues I can't go into technical details on what happened, but this is the official announcement we gave out to customers during the incident. It was updated this morning and we might provide some further details later on. The translation from Finnish to English is my own.
Problems with network connectivity
Due to a software related issue on a core router, some network connections have experienced problems and interruptions since 16:10 local time. The issue is still under repair.
Update: the fault has been limited and connectivity restored at 20:30. The fault had been resolved already before 17:00, but the effects of it resulted in new issues in connectivity after 18:00.
The overload caused by the fault resulted in connectivity issues between the routers of the internal core network at Nebula. When the original issue had been located and resolved, the level of service started to normalize in stages. Latency in certain connections may have been higher than usual during recovery.
We are sorry for the inconvenience and will be peforming upgrades to minimize similar incidents in the future.
Some changes have occured since I wrote the first part of Keeping in sync. Some of these changes have been dictated by glitches in the technologies, and others by the increase in number of devices involved. I needed to buy a second smartphone as I now have two mobile subscriptions, which made things a bit more complicated than before. Not much really, just a bit.
In the end, the mobile version of OggSync didn't work for some reason. The support people couldn't replicate the error, so it still remains a mystery. The version I was using is still beta, so the issue might be resoved in future releases. This is why I opted to install the desktop version off OggSync on the server running Kerio MailServer and perform the sync between Google Calendar and Kerio there. So far it's been working like a charm.
As for Facebook, I found out that it's possible to use the Export Events -functionality directly from Google Calendar, so I left the FBCal out of the equation. This way the events seem to appear in Google Calendar faster than with FBCal, but I never really timed this, so it's just a hunch.
I gave up using Remember The Milk, as synchronizing it with the rest didn't quite work like I wanted it to work. As said, pushing tasks through Google Calendar resulted in just calendar events. Instead, I opted to use the Tasks-functionality of Outlook. This way the tasks are synchronized natively via Kerio and ActiveSync, while still being accessable with a browser via Kerio Webmail.
|<< <||> >>|